Wellington, New Zealand – Smartway Builders, a leading home renovation company in the Wellington region, today shared the top home renovation trends for 2023/2024. The trends, based on the company’s experience and research, offer homeowners a variety of ways to update their homes and improve their quality of life.
“We are excited to share our top home renovation trends for 2023,” said Howard Woolston, Managing Director of Smartway Builders. “These trends reflect the latest in home design and technology, and they offer homeowners a variety of ways to make their homes more beautiful, comfortable, and sustainable.”
The top 10 home renovation trends for 2023/2024, according to Smartway Builders, are:
1. Sustainable building practices: Homeowners are becoming increasingly conscious of their home’s environmental impact and are looking for ways to make their homes more sustainable. Sustainable building practices can help homeowners save money on their energy bills, reduce their carbon footprint, and improve the air quality in their homes. For example, homeowners can use recycled materials, energy-efficient appliances, and water-saving fixtures.
2. Increased use of natural materials: Natural materials, such as wood, stone, and tile, are becoming more popular in home renovations. These materials are not only beautiful, but they are also sustainable and durable. They can also help to improve the air quality in a home.
3. Minimalist design: Minimalist design is a popular trend in home decor, and it is also starting to make its way into home renovations. Minimalist designs are clean, simple, and functional. They can help to create a more peaceful and relaxing environment in a home. For example, homeowners can declutter their belongings and furniture and choose light-coloured paint and flooring.
4. Smart home technology: Smart home technology is becoming increasingly popular and is expected to be a significant trend in home renovations in 2023 and beyond. Smart home technology can help control a home’s lights, thermostats, security system, and other devices with a voice or a smartphone app. This can make one’s life easier and more convenient. For example, homeowners can install smart thermostats that automatically adjust the temperature based on a schedule and smart lights that can be turned on and off with voice.
5. Reclaimed materials: Reclaimed materials, such as native wood and old bricks, are becoming more popular in home renovations. These materials have a unique look and feel that can add character to a home. They are also sustainably made from materials that would otherwise be discarded. For example, homeowners can use reclaimed wood for flooring, countertops, and cabinets.
6. Biophilic design: Biophilic design is a trend that incorporates natural elements into the home, such as plants, natural light, and water features. This trend is based on the idea that humans have a biological need to connect with nature and that biophilic design can improve mental and physical health. For example, homeowners can add plants, install skylights, and create a water feature in their backyard.
7. Open floor plans: Open floor plans are becoming increasingly popular in home renovations. Open floor plans create a sense of spaciousness and can make the home feel more inviting. They can also be more functional, allowing for easy flow between different areas of the home. For example, homeowners can knock down walls to create an open living room, kitchen, and dining room area.
8. Kitchen and bathroom renovations: Kitchens and bathrooms are two of the most essential rooms in the home, and they are often the focus of home renovations. Kitchen and bathroom renovations can increase the value of a home and make it more comfortable and functional. For example, homeowners can remodel their kitchen to include new cabinets, countertops, and appliances.
9. Outdoor living spaces: Outdoor living spaces are becoming increasingly popular as homeowners look for more ways to enjoy the outdoors. Outdoor living spaces can include patios, decks, and even swimming pools. They can be a great place to relax, entertain guests, or enjoy the fresh air. For example, homeowners can build a patio off the back of their house or install a deck on their rooftop.
10. Home offices: Home offices have become increasingly popular in recent years as more and more people work from home. Home office renovations can create a dedicated space for work that is both functional and stylish. For example, homeowners can install a desk and chairs that are comfortable and ergonomic and add storage space for files and supplies. They can also decorate their home office in a productive and relaxing way.
“These trends are sure to make a big impact on the home renovation industry in 2023 and beyond,” said Howard. “We encourage homeowners to consider these trends when planning home renovations.”
For those interested in exploring renovation possibilities, Smartway Builders offers consultations to guide homeowners through the process, plus free resources for homeowners on their website.
About Smartway Builders:
Since 2014, Smartway Builders has been a beacon in the Wellington Region’s construction landscape. Their commitment to quality and deep appreciation for the Kiwi way of life positions them as more than builders – they are community partners and advocates.
4 Oxford Street